*SLUR SLUR Jaimie Seagull*


I worked at a golf club as a waitress-*slash*-bar lady for 7 years. I was there towards the end of high school and through all the years of studying. I worked there to make extra money that I could spend on the clothes I wanted, as well as paying for all my social events I always attended.

I will never ever forget my very first day there. I was so nervous and excited at the same time, but once I got there I realized that I will be working in a male dominated environment. It was so daunting in the beginning. All this put pressure on everything I knew: my sharp comebacks and all the liquor brands I have been familiar with.

There was this one table that I had to serve. I didn't want to. But had to. I was so scared. So with the all the nerves I had on my shoulders, I slowly made my way over to them.

While I was writing down their orders, I could hear everyone's orders, expect for this one guy sitting at the table... 




All I kept hearing him order was a “slur slur Jaimie Seagull”. At this club they served a drink called a “Steel Wicks”, so I presumed that this “slur slur Jaimie Seagull”one was something similar to that, but with a shot of whiskey.
I went up and down, backwards and forwards from the barman and then to this drunken slurred 40 year old man about three or four times. Eventually when I went back the last time to clarify his order the man shouted at me: “what's so difficult about getting a Single Jameson and Lime!”

Obviously I had the whole golf club looking at me and could hear them thinking: Stupid waitress.
I walked away embarrassed and slightly demoralised but brought back the right drink and took away no tip.

Moral of the story: Try and learn some kind of drunken language online before you start working in a bar.

Lucky for you, I have actually Googled the different types of drinking languages.
On the Urban Dictionary site, you will be either surprised and/or delighted to know that there are quite a few of these alcohol-influencing-languages:

• Beerlingual - Being able to speak any second language, fluently.
• Zapalese - Heavy slurring (probably the case of the man in my story above)
• Courage - Classified as a language? In my own words: when the small guy believes he is strong and big enough to take on the 6 foot bloke in the corner.
• Suiplap - The classic Afrikaans word. I think this one is pretty much self-explanatory.


Claudia Jones

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment